Hi all,

I wonder how important it is to be able to run the unit tests for TC 8.5-10.0 with JVM versions 8 or even 7 (TC 8.5).

The unconditional addition of unit test jvmargs "--add-opens=..." in 2b6e19e971a980e38bcd30f05c554d9b798666c0 (TC 10, backported) means, we can no longer run the tests with Java 8 or even 7.

If I remove those jvmargs from build.xml, I run into a second problem when testing TC 8.5 with Java 7. In 014f4746176c7f27cda7c04b2c6036a539c385ff EasyMock was updated from 3.x to 4.x, which needs Java 8 to run. Several tests fail with UnsupportedClassVersionError in a few EasyMock classes.

I can work around all of these myself for running the tests here, but I wonder, what kind of setup for testing we want to support out-of-the box.

Note that by reintroducing the previous compatibility trick for jvmargs (TC 8.5, 9 and 10) and using the old EasyMock branch for TC 8.5 we could still build and test with Java 11, but would also allow testing on the other target Java versions we support.

WDYT?

Best regards,

Rainer