On 03/06/2022 09:14, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 3:22 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.0-M16 release is now available for
voting.

For all previous branches, the "M" was dropped as soon as the spec was
final (and its implementation was complete too ;) ).

Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten that.

Maybe this is
better though, all regular numbered releases would be either stable or
skipped, while the "M" would be alpha or beta.

Other projects would probably switch to RC now.

I don't think that really works for us because of the frequency of releases and the way we do them. Essentially every stable release is an RC and we just move to the next version if we find an issue.

I do wonder if the "M" designation will put people off testing it. On the other hand, the code is pretty stable since all 4 versions are fairly close these days.

Hmm. I'll leave this one as M and I'm leaning towards your suggestion of continuing to use M until we are happy to call it stable.

I think we are a little way from a stable release at the moment. I'd like to get Tomcat Native 2.0.x released and have all that working, go through the remaining items in TOMCAT-NEXT.txt and then have a few releases without issues first.