On 6/30/22 03:35, ma...@apache.org wrote:

<snip/>

+<section name="Unsafe legacy negotiation">
+  <p>
+  Support for unsafe legacy negotiation depends on OpenSSL. Only if Tomcat +  Native is compiled with a build of OpenSSL that supports legacy renegotiation
+  will Tomcat Native support it.
+  </p>

Does this mean it's /possible/ (and configurable) to use Unsafe Legacy Negotiation, or does it mean that it's always-on for openssl builds where it's there, and always-off when it's not there?

It means that it is possible, configurable and disabled by default to use unsafe legacy negotiation unless OpenSSL has been compiled with that functionality explicitly removed. In which case it is completely disabled.

My memory is that I found a page that indicated it was possible to compile OpenSSL with that functionality removed. When I went to re-check my facts before writing this email, I couldn't find anything to confirm that.

I'll re-write that page to make clear that the behaviour is determined by OpenSSL configuration and that with 3.0.x, support is disabled by default.