I just noticed that BUILDING.txt in the source distribution of Tomcat 8.5.82 hasn't been merged as expected:

"
Building The Apache Tomcat @VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@ Servlet/JSP Container

This project contains the source code for Tomcat @VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@, a container that implements the Servlet @SERVLET_SPEC_VERSION@, JSP @JSP_SPEC_VERSION@, EL @EL_SPEC_VERSION@, WebSocket @WEBSOCKET_SPEC_VERSION@ and JASPIC @JASPIC_SPEC_VERSION@
specifications from the Java Community Process <https://www.jcp.org/>.
"

I think we might need to enable token-replacement during copy. Or something else. I'll have a look.

I'd also like to add some information about the repeatable build process.

-chris