чт, 15 июн. 2023 г. в 12:32, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

> [...]
>
> Given the above, I think we can safely:
>
> - plan to stop providing 32-bit Windows builds after 2025-10-14
>
> - remove 32-bit Windows builds from Tomcat 11
>
> Given that the only remaining supported 32-bit Windows operating system
> is a consumer one (the last Windows server OS to support 32-bit was
> Sever 2008) do we want to drop 32-bit support from any other products
> and/or versions? I'm thinking about Tomcat Native, Connectors (mod_jk &
> ISAPI redirector), and the earlier Tomcat versions.
>
> Personally, I'm leaning towards not making any further changes until
> after 2025-10-14 but what does everyone else think?
>
> Thoughts?

Regarding 32-bit Java on Windows, my experience is

1. I still have Java 7 (32-bit) installed, and I use it to test Tomcat 8.5.

I do not know about any 64-bit versions of Java 7 being available.

I plan to uninstall it once Tomcat 8.5 reaches EOL.

2. I have 32-bit Java 8 (provided by Temurin) installed, for the sake
of occasionally running some legacy software.

(Software that is based on old 32-bit versions of Eclipse RCP
platform. That platform has native components in it (SWT). Thus it is
tied to a specific processor architecture).

I occasionally use this 32-bit Java 8 to test Tomcat 9. I remember
fixing some tests that did not pass with memory limitations of a
32-bit JRE.

I do not run Tomcat 9 on 32-bit Java for any business purpose.

3. I do not use 32-bit Java 11, though I know that it is available from Temurin.

I never tested Tomcat 10.1 with it.

4. I wonder about the Windows 10 EOL date. I know some places that
still use Windows XP.
(It is hard to upgrade the OS on existing legacy hardware.)

Thus

1. I think that providing 32-bit Windows support for Tomcat 9 (and
Tomcat Native 1.2.x) has a value, as long as it continues to run on
Java 8.

We may reconsider if some Tomcat 9.y.x version will require a later
version of Java.

2. I wonder about Tomcat 10.1 and Java 11.

As a starter, we may stop publishing
"apache-tomcat-10.1.x-windows-x86.zip" archives and see if anyone
cares.

3. I am +1 for removing 32-bit support from Tomcat 11 onwards.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko