<snip/>

1. Allow ServiceBindingPropertySource to use the SERVICE_BINDING_ROOT environment variable *or* a system property with an appropriate name such as service.binding.root, with the system property overriding the environment variable.

Seems reasonable to me but keep in mind I've never used this code.

2. Have ServiceBindingPropertySource fall-back to system property resolution if no matching file is found. Maybe we should do this with all PropertySource classes provided by Tomcat?

My reading of the docs and the code is that SystemPropertySource is always added already.

3. If the SERVICE_BINDING_ROOT environment variable is being used, copy its value into a system property. This will allow application software or Tomcat itself to use the file reference as necessary. For example:

Again seems reasonable to me but same caveat as above.