Rainer Jung wrote:
As far as I understand the issue, the solution is to use the correct security manager profile. In catalina.policy there is already a comment how to do that (search for "per context logging").

I'm not doing per context logging and I don't want to. That's what I find terribly frustrating. Something I'm not trying to do is breaking my app.

I have 250+ virtual hosts per tomcat instance. It seems like a lot of overhead that I'm not interested in.

Even with Marks patch (or with his plus mine), there would still be the problem of the container not able to read logging.properties from a context without giving it permissions.

Since I have no desire to do per-context logging, this doesn't bother me.

> The only difference that the
patch makes, is that it swallows the exception resp. logs it.

Can you shortly describe

- if adding the correct configuration to catalina.policy fixes your problem

How would I add the correct configuration to catalina.policy for 250 virtual hosts/contexts into catalina.policy?

It seems to me that I would have to either make many entries or make one generic entry that over-assigns permissions.

Complicating matters, using the host manager, I deploy new virtual hosts/contexts on the fly while the servlet engine is running. Is there a mechanism for dynamically updating catalina.policy?

- why not having those lines breaks your application and this breakage is not happening with the patch? Is it because the AccessControlException is not caught?

Yes. The AccessControlException is not caught within Tomcat, and it terminates the execution of my servlet.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.