It's kind of hard to fight the specification in the long run. I would
think the language would need to be loosened up from MUST. The
specification could suggest the use JSESSIONID by default, which would
be supported by Tomcat; yet still allow it to be configurable. Not
sure I understand why it would be so problematic for proxies and
looking at the code base it would be a trivial change. Is this matter
still a candidate for and enhancement request so we can put it to a
vote?