Xie Xiaodong wrote:
> Dear All,
>    I'd like to take part in the "tomcat-1-valves2filters" project of Google
> Summer Code of 2009. Could you provide me some more information? I think we
> already have complete test suits for those valves,

Really? Where did you find those? I'm not aware of any.

> so if I could get the
> chance to participate in this project, I'll replace those valves one by one.
> After finish each valve, I'll test if I break something.

That sounds like a sensible approach. Some valves will be easier than others.

You will need to think about configuration. Valves are configured at Engine,
Host and Context level with Tomcat specific configuration. Filters are
configured at Context level with servlet spec configuration. You'll also need to
consider how they will interact with the new Async support in the Servlet 3.0
spec.

> Could someone
> provide me some more information of this project?

The info on http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009 is the best source
of information.

I suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Tomcat source code, starting
with building trunk (Tomcat 7 development branch) from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk

There aren't really any valve bugs that need fixing so I suggest you take a look
at converting the AccessLogValve to a filter to give you an idea of what is
involved before your write your proposal with deliverables and timescales.

Mark