Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> I do not like that your patch changes behavior where it was not
> broken previously.

To be honest, I don't like it either. The fact that we have to provide
workarounds for broken browsers that can't follow a spec that couldn't
be clearer if it was written in 6 foot high letters on stone tablets
annoys me intensely.

I was half tempted to to take the "It isn't a Tomcat issue - that is a
browser vulnerability. Go hassle the browser vendor" line and do nothing.

However, the pragmatic side of me accepts that the browser vendor isn't
going to change the browser so we should do something to help our users.
Changing the error page encoding to UTF-8 seemed the least bad option
from a range of not great options.

> Theoretically, there might be someone who relies on the encoding
> of those error pages, but, well, those pages are for humans,
> and we are free to change them for readability or for any other purpose.

True. Probably more importantly setting your own default error page is
really simple so if this does cause someone an issue, they should have a
simple workaround.

> OK, I give my +1.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback and the discussion.