The copyright year in the NOTICE files in the binary archive is still
2008; surely it should be 2009?

The connectors/NOTICE file in the source archive is wrong.

There are no NOTICE files for the jasper and servletapi directory sub-trees.
It would be better to have a single N&L file at the top of the
directory structure, but failing that, each sub-tree needs the proper
N&L files.

The binary tgz and zip archives agree with each other.

The source tgz and zip archives are different. The binary files (*.exe
and *.bin) are corrupted in the tgz archive. Also there are additional
EOLs at the end of many source files in the tgz archive. There seems
to be a bug in the packaging of the source files in the tar.gz format.

The apache-tomcat-4.1.40.exe fails for me when trying to install a
Full release on WinXP:

It starts by saying it has found a Java development kit, but later on
fails with the message:

Couldn't find a Java development kit on this computer. Please download
one from http://java.sun.com/

The last line in the installer dialogue is "Created uninstaller: ..."

There seem to be a lot of files missing from the installation compared
with the binary zip archive, but that is probably due to the premature
failure of the installation.

IMO the release is broken.