On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Konstantin Kolinko
<knst.koli...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/11/10  <ma...@apache.org>:
> > Author: markt
> > Date: Tue Nov 10 16:57:29 2009
> > New Revision: 834544

> > Log:
> > Proposal for cve-2009-3555 work-around
> >
> > Modified:
> >    tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/STATUS.txt
> >
> > +
> > +* Disable TLS renegotiation be default with an option to re-enable it
> > +  Based on Costin's patch for trunk with Mark's modifications
> > +
> http://people.apache.org/~markt/patches/2009-11-10-cve-2009-3555-tc6.patch
> > +  +1: markt
> > +  -1:
>
> My understanding of the patch is that it disables any renegotiation,
> either client-initiated or server-initiated, for connectors based on
> JSSE.
>
> Shouldn't there be an option to selectively enable server-initiated
> renegotiation? E.g., to reset the listener if we are really expecting
> a re-handshake, like JSSESupport class does with its handshake
> listener in JSSESupport#handShake().

It could be done - but I guess the man in the middle could use the
 server-initiated renegotiation. Server-initiated is only used for client
cert
auth - if the client doesn't send the cert on the initial handshake.

I would assume browsers will be patched as well soon, and may not
support re-negotiations the way they did.
Given the extra complexity and how big the whole is - I think we should
disable both until we have a better picture of the new SSL world.

> Also, just a note, my understanding is that it won't help for Nio
> connectors (those using the second constructor of JSSESupport class,
> where there is session, but no socket).  Those are ultimately based on
> SecureNioChannel class and javax.net.ssl.SSLEngine.
> Something else should be needed there.

Ops, I missed SecureNioChannel.

I'll try to submit a patch tonight, with SSLEngine you can cut the
negotiation earlier - but it's a bit trickier.

Maybe we can hold the release until we have this as well.

Costin