On 24/02/2010 10:18, Rainer Jung wrote:
On 24.02.2010 01:07, ma...@apache.org wrote:
Author: markt
Date: Wed Feb 24 00:07:06 2010
New Revision: 915603

Log:
Add basic memory leak detection for JMX and manager (kkolinko/markt)

Should we add a note, that the feature will not work in case System.gc()
has been disabled, e.g. by setting -XX:+DisableExplicitGC on the command
line (Sun VM)?

More documentation is always good. There is, of course, no guarantee that the GC will run anyway.

I think there's no good way yet to determine whether explicit GCs are
possible or not. One could check the input arguments provided by the
runtime platform mbean, but I think it's not worth it.

I don't have the details (vendor, versions etc) to hand but you can get counts of GC via JMX. It may be viable - depending on which vendors/jvms support it - to check the GC count before and after we try to trigger it.