On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03/10/2010 11:10 PM, Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> You want to have each webapp served by a different process ?
>> Or even different versions of a webapp in a different process ?
>>

> First goal is to get rid of connectors and use Tomcat
> directly inside httpd or IIS or new Commons Runtime
> (replacing Tomcat Native and Daemon) I'm working on.

It used to work - about 10 years ago :-)

> Second is to have application pools where one could
> say: Serve WebAppX inside Default Application Pool
> consisting of 1 ... N processes or use Custom Application
> pool with some process limitation factors (memory, cpu usage, etc)

This sounds a bit complex - but the big question is "why" ?

If you do multi-process, you can just go simple and say that one process
runs a single app - thus resolving most security issues ( no longer need
a sandbox ), you can set use limits, etc. Upgrading the app will no longer
leak resources, you can have the old version running for a while, in
parallel
with the new one ( with some tricks in the lb - for example use session to
direct
to the right version ).

Having multi-process and combining multiple apps in a single process
seems pointless.

The other nice thing would be to fire up the process on demand, and kill
them
if not used - and maybe start new processes if needed.

> Third goal is to allow graceful restarts which would
> allow to reconfigure the entire VM or redeploy the
> application without down time.

Yes, but 1 app ( and one version ) per process would make it easier.

> Those kind of things is done nowadays by using some sort
> of clustering where each node actually behaves like one
> of Httpd's child processes.
>

> First thing I'm going to do is the thorough analysis
> of what actually happens under the hood during different
> engine life stages and see what resources might require
> the synchronization or cross-process sharing and
> how to do that.

IMHO if you use such a model, it may be better to change the
directory structure - and have all the files ever created by
an webapp ( including logs, work dir, etc ) under a single tree.

Than you can chroot to it, versioning may also be easier.

> I know it might sound very complex, but it's actually
> doing what Tomcat is suppose to do (be a servlet engine),
> so perhaps Tomcat Light would fit in that story.

I don't think it's that hard - starting tomcat7 'standalone', with minimal
config and a different dir structure is easy.

The trick will be the frontend - load balancer plus logic to start the
right
processes.

Costin