On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:48 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7, Valve -> Filter conversion, and container-
>> managed authentication/authorization
>>
>> I guess my question would be "how much of servlet 3 has been
>> implemented in TC7 at this point"?
>
> Similarly, what's the status of JSR 196?  It seems to be languishing, to put
> it kindly.

Geronimo has a provider implementation, which we use, jetty has built in
support, geronimo's tomcat fork has support which we've offered back to tomcat,
glassfish has support, IIUC JBoss has had support for many years (well before
the spec was approved).  I'm a little unclear on the exact status in ee6 but
think that support for the servlet profile is required so I'd expect the
commercial vendors to support it as well in their ee6 releases.

There does seem to be remarkable reluctance on the part of users to consider
trying it.  Do you have any idea why?

thanks
david jencks