IMHO we should use the modules/ directory as a place to move stuff out
of tomcat 'core', or develop stuff that is optional and only benefits a
subset
of users. They can be included in a "tomcat-all" or "extra" download if
ready,
but they should be released independently.

Tags are pretty cheap - not sure what's the problem on having the modules
tagged when releases are made, and you can tag only the module when its
ready for a standalone release.

Costin