Are you going to replace DirContext ?

If yes - great, but please first send a quick summary comparing your API
with the other VFS
around in apache. I think commons has few targets, including a hdfs, I
remember there are more.

If no - not sure what's the point of replacing java.io impl, I assume you
just need to add a DirContext
for hadoop.

I remember many years back I was arguing in favor of DirContext - pro
arguments were
"it's a standard", bundled in JDK, probably more target implementations will
be available, etc.
I think Remy was arguing that it's too complex and not a perfect fit. I
guess he was right :-)

Costin