1) Renaming

Since quite some time now the setclasspath script doesn't have anything
to do with setting a class path. It only searches for JRE / JDK and sets
up the path to the Java or JDB binary plus JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS.

So it would be more correct to call it checkjava.sh or setupjava.sh or
whatever.

Do you think it's too late for TC 7 to rename the script?

Good ideas for a new name?

2) Removing BASEDIR

In addition it contains a validity check for BASEDIR. This is bogus:
whereever setclasspath is sources, we directly before set BASEDIR to the
path from which we source setclasspath. In addition, apart from the
validity check, BASEDIR is never ever used.

I'd say we can safely remove BASEDIR (not setting it in catalina.* and
not checking it in setclasspath.*). Makes the scripts a bit simpler.

Regards,

Rainer