On 23.06.2011 16:34, Rainer Jung wrote:
> At the moment the file globs we support in the loader definitions in
> catalina.properties are hard coded to DIRECTORY/*.jar.
>
> Sometimes it would be helpful to allow a bit more flexible globs, like
> e.g. log4j-1.2.*.jar or similar.
>
> Would there be any interest if I would investigate whether we can use
> e.g. the DirectoryScanner from ant to support more general globs?
>
> Since we want to define the loader path, we only want to end up with
> directories and jar files. So one idea would be to filter the result of
> the DirectoryScanner to only include dirs and jars that match. If we
> find that more secure, we could also restrict to jars only, because I
> think that's the most probable use case for globs and picking up any
> dirs e.g. when using a recursive pattern might not be what the user
> expected.
>
> The result should be compatible to what the users got when using the
> strict *.jar pattern.
>
> Since we scan the directories only on startup and the ant code is
> mature, I don't expect any problematic performance impact.
>
> I don't have a patch yet, but wanted to check for general feedback
> before investigating more deeply.

Sent a bit to quickly:

A much simplr solution would be using the Matcher util class we already
imported from ant to support globs in the jar scanner skip list. If we
only allow the globs to be part of the file name, then the impl would be
pretty straightforward using the Matcher. Globs in the file name and not
the directory part is the most important use case and easy to understand
in its consequences. So I lean towards this type of improvement right now.

Regards,

Rainer