On 11.07.2011 01:24, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2011/7/10  <rj...@apache.org>:
>> Author: rjung
>> Date: Sun Jul 10 11:22:40 2011
>> New Revision: 1144833

>> Log:
>> Another regression in 7.0.18: year number formatting
>> in AccessLogValve is broken due to type "yyy" instead of "yyyy".
>>

> Nice catch.

Don't know why I did not notice that earlier. I looked at access log
lines a lot since that buggy change, but only noticed it yesterday.

> There is one more regression there:  month names are now localized
> and may be printed not in English, but in other languages.
>
> 127.0.0.1 - - [09/июл/11:00:48:22 +0400] "GET /examples/ HTTP/1.1" 200 1156

Oha, getting fun here: I checked 7.0.16 (before the ALV change) with
default locale th_TH_TH, which changes about everything, including digits.

That will produce

- english months

- thai digits in request timestamp, but also in the default
  file suffix timestamp (rendered here as "?", so effectively
  breaking file rotation - but only since that locale is not fully
  available here).

I suggest we at least make the behaviour consistent:

- Change the defaults to en_US
- Allow to overwrite the locale used for formatting the lines in
  the access log *and also* the file sufix

Unfortunately I could find only one reference, that en_US support is
mandatory for a JVM:

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/locale/

Look for "This list is quite short: English (U.S.)."

If we wanted to make it bullet-proof, we could either switch to the
default locale completely, but that changes behaviour quite a lot as you
noticed, or use DateFormatSymbols to just fix the month names. That
would be the old behaviour with inconsistent formatting.

I suggest we use en_US if available, otherwise the default locale. In
any case make it overwritable by an attribute. That would give
consistent behaviour, which on most installations should be as good or
even better than before.

Regards,

Rainer