2011/12/19 sebb <seb...@gmail.com>

> On 19 December 2011 08:36, Antonio Petrelli <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> With
> >>
> >> What benefit is this to the Tomcat community? I see a change, but no
> >> benefit.
> >>

> > So standardization is no benefit? Do you mean that an external developer,
> > that sees a common project structure that can start working on it easily,
> > is not a benefit?

> jar-one
> one
> >>
> >> Why is that an issue? Switching to a single source tree was one of the
> >> best changes we ever made. It has been much easier to manage than the
> >> multiple source trees we had in the past.
> >

> > Sincerely, this is the worst thing that you have made. Do you think that
> > having a single source tree and letting Ant script reconstruct in some
> > non-obvious way the jars, is a benefit?
> >

> >> The dependencies are known and
> >> we have checks in place (via Checkstyle) to ensure that unwanted
> >> dependencies are not added.
> >

> > Checkstyle checks unwanted *imports* not dependencies.
> >

> >> Again, what is the benefit here to the
> >> Tomcat community? There has been some interest but very little activity
> >> towards greater modularity. If there was more interest in increasing
> >> modularity then there might be a case for this but given Tomcat's remit
> >> of implementing the Servlet and JSP specs there is very little that
> >> could be made modular / optional. Jasper and EL are already optional
> >> (well, they can be removed) and pretty much everything else is required
> >> by the Servlet spec.
> >>

> > Real modularity means: one source directory -> one jar. In other cases,
> it
> > is not obvious.

> >> (where
> >> the
> >>
> >> Again, how does this benefit the Tomcat community?
> >>

> > The benefit is that the pom.xml is similar to other projects. After you
> see
> > a kind of project, you see almost them all.

> the
> >>
> >> How does this benefit the Tomcat community?
> >>

> > See above.

> specifically.
> >> For
> zip
> >>
> >> That sounds like just a different way of doing things. What is the
> benefit?
> >>

> > You don't need to maintain a build script, but only use a plugin. Most of
> > the time, it's just the matter of including it.

> of
> >>
> >> Right now the release process is:
> >> ant release
> >> followed by scp / ftp / 'take your pick' the files to the right place
> >> and that could be added to the script if we really wanted to (but no-one
> >> has felt the need to scratch that itch).
> >>

> > Does "ant release" tag automatically and prepare for the next snapshot?
>
> AIUI, the Maven release plugin temporarily changes the trunk SVN to
> [...]

You are right, please open a JIRA issue for this, for example a solution
would be to change the version inside the tag. I believe that this
operation is done this way for backwards compatibility with CVS.
However you must admit that the time taken for this operation is small
(commit, tag, commit again). You must be *very unlucky°.

Antonio