I haven't had too much time to work on this in the past week, but will try
to take another crack at something the weekend.  Thanks for all the
comments.  I will try to find a way that address these concerns, and does
not get too big or complicated.

Another route to take, would be to just add more configuration options to
the existing access logger (like how many versions to keep).   This would
directly solve my immediate problem.  However, it seems the vibe is leaning
a bit toward having an option to use the JULI logger.