> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: svn commit: r1302649 -
> /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/Catalina.java

> There seems to be a difference between "system" and "bootstrap"
> but it's not evident merely from reading the javadoc.

The bootstrap classloader (aka null or primordial classloader) is the one the
JVM uses to load the standard JRE classes - the ones in rt.jar and a few other
places; it cannot be overridden.  The system classloader is the one that
handles the classpath setting, and can be specified by system property if you
don't want the default behavior.  The parent of all classloaders is eventually
the bootstrap classloader, simply because that's what you get when the
classloader reference is null.

> In this case, system ~= bootstrap

I have no idea what "~=" means, but it is never true that the system
classloader is the same as the bootstrap classloader.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.