On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Bill Barker <billwbar...@verizon.net>wrote:

> "Mark Thomas"  wrote in message news:4F6F8735.3090706@apache.**org...
>

> On 25/03/2012 17:24, Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> For Tomcat7 I'm proposing to only add hooks: 'beforeHandshake' callback in
>>> Handler, and an optional NpnHandler class plus setters in protocol.
>>> There is no Java7 or spdy dependency at all.
>>>

>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>>  The main question is if it's ok to add a build-time dependency on
>>> npn-boot,
>>>

>> Is this required for 7.0.x or just trunk? I'm assuming just trunk.

Trunk only.

>>  Since users will still have to download npn-boot.jar ( it contains GPL so
>>> probably can't be distributed with tomcat ) - they could also download a
>>> jar with those 2 classes and the 2 for jio. That's the second option, if
>>> compile-time dep to gpl is not ok.
>>>

>> I think that the compile-time dep on GPL needs to be completely
>> optional. I have no issue with using such a dep in the release builds
>> but I image that there are folks downstream who aren't that relaxed. It
>> should be possible to structure this in such a way that Tomcat can still
>> be compiled if the GPL'd JAR is not available.
>>
>>  Yes, the company I work for in my day job is one of those that won't be
> that relaxed.  My CTO has a strict no GPL policy (because our clients also
> don't want GPL).  Apache is about releasing code under the AL2, and is why
> it has been successful. IMHO if this module requires GPL code then it
> should permanently stay on github as an optional addon module for Tomcat
> that can be downloaded from there, but not included in the normal Tomcat
> release which should be a pure AL2 license.

I understand ( and agree ) with 'no GPL included in a tomcat release',
that's not what I'm proposing.

And it's no longer an issue - it seems they have a separate jar containing
only the class we depend on, which is AL2:

https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/blob/master/jetty-npn/src/main/java/org/eclipse/jetty/npn/NextProtoNego.java

npn-api is the jar.

At runtime: if a user wants spdy with AL2, he'll have to use apr and
compile latest JNI.  If he wants NIO/BIO - he'll need to independently
download npn-boot.jar and use java7 ( or wait until java7 includes the
needed tls changes ).

Costin