I know of two places where long lines cause problems:

1. Commit e-mails.

Long lines are wrapped and it impacts readability.

2. Side-by-side comparison in viewvc when you do "colored" comparison

Therefore I would like to stick to the current convention of 80 chars.
It is not a hard convention (we do not enforce it through checkstyle),
but something to follow.

There should be several previous discussions on this topic in the archives...

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko