2012/6/5 Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>:

>> For that reason, I'd like us to be more conscious about our commits on v7
>> and start looking at v7 as bug fixes and stabilization as the primary
>> drivers for commits.
>
> Stabilization usually means that we stop fixing bugs in "stable"
> version besides easy ones and allow them in trunk only. It is not what
> I want for 7.0 now.
>
> There is no expected date for Tomcat 8, and if the date is too far
> (e.g. further than 9 months) it would be too late for most problems
> that users are reporting.

What do people think about introducing a STATUS file in 7.0,
but not yet switching to full RTC policy?

I mean let the author decide and propose his change for review if he
deems it is too risky to commit immediately, or is worth reviewing.
E.g. if

a) the change is too complex,
b) touches many components,
c) touches core pieces of Tomcat.

I do not think 7.0 will benefit from slow RTC of Tomcat 6,  but there
are some patches that are worth a review, and having a formal STATUS
file approach is better that random discussions on dev@.

One notable benefit of the STATUS file is that the change is proposed
when it is ready for review.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko