On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 07:34 -0700, Costin Manolache wrote:
> > One use for a resource API is if it provides different backends - like
> > Hadoop filesystem abstraction
> > does. Than you could serve from hdfs/db/etc, and someone could use the
> same
> > api in deploy tools
> >  or general programs.
> > One of the unrealized benefits with JNDI was that it may provide many
> > backends - LDAP, DB, etc -
> > that would be directly usable in tomcat.
>
> Yes, you convinced me to bother with JNDI in order to have a standard
> API that others could use if they wanted to integrate. I used it in
> Slide, but that was it, so it wasn't useful in the end. Of course, we
> had no real idea to know that at the time, and it is possibly because we
> didn't bother documenting/advertising it much.

Yes, I was wrong - but I learned a lot in the last 10 years :-)
( and this isn't the only mistake I made ).

I still think it's a good idea to have a good abstraction API for resources
-
and the key is to have it documented/advertised/used and more important
implemented for various backends.
One way to do this is to make sure it's not very tied to tomcat.

Costin