On 14/06/2013 08:35, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
wait SCIs stands for ServletContainerInitializer right? if so just think
all apps are not only webapps (ear typically)

I'd disagree. I'd say WARs are far more popular than EARs.

For EARs if there is a case for application wide scanning (not sure there is but I don't know the rest of the J2EE spec well enough to be certain) then such scanning needs to be provided by the container in the same way SCIs provide scanning in Servlet containers. In a full J2EE container it should be possible for the results of the application wide scan to be fed to the SCI so there is no need for multiple scans.

+ the issue is really tomcat scanning shouldn't occur if already done
(or the opposite, myfaces should
reuse tomcat scanned info is here, cxf, spring, cdi container...).

Then MyFaces should use an SCI. As should any other library that needs to scan the WAR for classes and/or annotations in a Servlet container. If there is something one of these libraries needs that can't be done with an SCI then that needs to be raised with the Servlet EG.

The downside of using an SCI is that it requires Servlet 3. Some library developers may not like the idea of introducing a dependency on Servlet 3.0. I'd suggest the way forward is to use an SCI if available and if not, then fall-back to whatever internal scanning is currently used.