On 18.07.2013 06:04, Mladen Turk wrote:
> On 07/17/2013 11:59 PM, sebb wrote:
>> Regardless, please consider documenting the script to explain why it
>> does not use -n/-z if that is necessary to avoid bugs.
>>

> It would be the same as documenting why one uses a+=1 instead a++ :)
> I don't see where its written that one *must* use -n/-z at the first place.

Coming from SunOS 4 times I agree. That "X$var" comparing with "Xvalue"
idiom is or at least was very common in system shell scripts. No need to
document, that is just practical shell language programming knowledge.

The same to not using "-n" or "-z" for platform independent shell
script. It seems to me that POSIX and the later Unix standards still do
not standardize the allowed shell expression syntax. There is a standard
"test" commandline util, but IMHO that's not the same.

Regards,

Rainer