Mark,

On 8.2.2014 12:19, Mark Thomas wrote:
- Tested with several webapps that are in active development (Linux).

You mentioned in the 8.0.2 vote that some of these used Tomcat's
packaged renamed DBCP. I've added support for using that with a security
manager in 8.0.3 (with apps not needing extra permissions to connect to
the database).

It works with my simple database app. Any chance you could try it with
your apps and see if I missed any classes that need to be pre-loaded or
methods that need PrivilegedActions? I appreciate that enabling the
security manage may cause all sorts of things to break but if you can
provide any feedback on DBCP and the security manager that would be great.

I can only confirm what you already know.

In order to isolate the problem with 8.0.2 I created a simple webapp that uses JNDI lookup to get data source from DBCP2 pool defined in context.xml.

With that simple webapp, when I enable security manager:

1. with 8.0.1, it throws:
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.lang.RuntimePermission" "accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2")

2. with 8.0.3, it works Ok.

I also tried to test my production webapps, which also use DBCP2. However I get a lot of AccessControlExceptions, which I resolved one by one. Now I am stucked with particularly stubborn FilePermission problem. If I resolve that one, and other following exceptions I will report the results of testing here.

-Ognjen