On 26/03/2014 13:22, Rémy Maucherat wrote:

>> All,
>>
>> Most (all?) of the presentations from ApacheCon NA 2013 are now
>> available on YouTube. To help you to navigate to the Tomcat
>> presentations we have created this page:
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/presentations.html
>>
>> Nice, I just went and read them.
>
> In the most recent presentation, one quick comment on the problem areas of
> Websockets on Servlets. Actually, I found after the EG discussion that
> autoblocking works fine as a solution with no deadlock, if it is really an
> internal autoblocking mechanism (like the semaphore use in NIO2). It is not
> perfect though, the timeout is different.

Yes, it is a solvable problem as long as you drop the self-imposed
requirement to run on top of the Servlet API. Now the difficulties are
understood, I'm beginning to think about dropping that requirement and
using some of the Tomcat internals directly. The blocking/non-blocking
gets a whole lot easier very quickly if you do that.