> Hi guys,
>
> just started to play with tomcat 8 and seems default log format changed
> (inline now)
>
> This doesn't seem that readable for me out of the box and wonder if we
> couldn't enhance default logging format to get a shorter and ligned log
> format (xx-yy-zz aa:bb [thread name on 15 chars max] [ class.method on
> 20chars max] message)
>
> Main point is to get everything aligned and not too wide

The format is provided by "formatter" configured for a handler.

Tomcat 7 by default uses java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter provided by JRE.

Tomcat 8 by default uses our own org.apache.juli.OneLineFormatter

There is no problem in implementing (and contributing) a different
formatter if someone wants. I just do not see a point in mimicking the
JRE one.

The main benefit of OneLineFormatter for me is that it includes the
thread name into the message. It allows to map it to thread names that
may be logged by access log.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko