On 3 September 2014 16:10, Martin Grigorov <mgrigo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-09-03, sebb wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe it's possible to configure the commit messages so that diffs are
>> > shown; if not, then perhaps there needs to be a convention for how to
>> > comment on commits.
>>
>> Might be something that can be configured per project, we do get diffs
>> for commits in Ant-land: for example
>>
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-notifications/201408.mbox/%3C20bedaba96cd4b7582e31104e4d27d4a%40git.apache.org%3E
>

> Diffs in mail notifications come for free in the ASF Git setup.

OK, good.

I was going by the infra puppet diffs on  infrastructure-cvs which
only have a compare URL.

But it seems these are github commits.

> Commenting on diffs in the email is not the important thing. Having an
> email means that another committer (i.e. someone with more knowledge) did
> something.
> The new thing is being able to comment on "the patch" (the Pull Request)
> provided by a contributor *before* it gets in the repo. Usually the
> contributors don't have the whole picture.

Yes, this would be useful.

However, it is fairly common for Tomcat committers to comment on each
other's commits, either as part of CTR or sometimes to provide
feedback. etc.
A quick scan of some recent commits shows 5-10% with comments.