> From: Konstantin Kolinko [mailto:knst.koli...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [GUMP@vmgump]: Project tomcat-trunk-test-bio (in module
> tomcat-trunk) failed

> > Is it worth doing that compared to the cost of creating and gc'ing the
> > local variable?

> Local int variable is not an object. I think that it is created on
> stack and there is no gc involved. (I may be wrong here though).

A local int resides on the stack, whereas an Integer is an object, and may be
on the stack or in the heap.  If the JIT (just the C2 compiler only, I think)
can determine that the object does not escape the local procedure (and is small
enough) it will be on the stack.  The escape analysis was implemented by Sun in
Java 6 (the IBM JVM had it for some time before that):

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/vm/performance-enhancements-7.html#escapeAnalysis

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.