Am 24.02.2015 um 10:01 schrieb Mark Thomas:

On a related topic the Gump OpenSSL tests are still failing. They pass
when run directly from the command line on vmgump.a.o. I can't come up
with a better idea than adding some debugging to the tests.

I installed OpenSSL master (current snapshot) locally and ran the TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser test against our trunk.I get failures as well although I can confirm, that the correct OpenSSL version 1.1.0-dev was used.

Looking at the simplest failure example "SSLv2": OpenSSL 1.1.0 no longer supports SSLv2, so "openssl ciphers -v SSLv2" returns and empty result and that is what the test expects. OTOH in TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser there are about 6 ciphers which are defined for SSLv2 and those show up in the failed tests (plus some of their aliases).

Not sure how to handle OpenSSL version compatibility in the tests and in the Tomcat runtime code. Which version of OpenSSl is java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net/jsse/openssl/ supposed to reflect? Any specific version, or any cipher existing in some OpenSSL version? That code I think does not actually use OpenSSL and is only a translation mechanism from OpenSSL syntax to JSSE syntax, correct?

The test OTOH actually use OpenSSL and compare results, so would never be compatible with a extended cipher list. Maybe for testing we need to mark the ciphers in the list, that actually exist in the OpenSSL version that's supposed to be used during the tests?I don't have a convincing idea...

Regards,

Rainer