+1

There should also be a point where dropping legacy (and the code that goes with it) should occur. If someone is using something 'really' old then they are unlikely to upgrade the server anyway.
The hard bit is deciding what is 'old'.
How does dropping things like that affect the TCK?
How heavy is the old stuff weighing on the new stuff?

Andy.