Jon, did you see my message on irc?

Do you still need help or did you already cherry-pick over the fixes from the
TomEE8 branch?
I assume that many of those issues have to do with newer Tomcat versions (8.5
and 9.0) are more strict when it comes to configuration.
E.g. you have to either use a <security-constraint> or enable preemptive
authorisation in context.xml to force authentication against a realm.

LieGrue,
strub