On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM, bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems -
Hamburg Germany <bjoern.michael...@sun.com> wrote:

>> Firstly under dependencies it says "[CMake] is not usually available
>> on the default install of many platforms." and then a bit further down
>> "One might consider using Python as a tool for _all_ non-standard
>> build tasks. Python is easy to distribute and install on all
>> platforms." This is somewhat conflicting: CMake is just as available
>> and easy to install as Python on every (meaningful) platform.
>
> Did you miss the line "However, it is also a very fat dependency and
> thus it is questionable, if it would be worth the effort just to
> get rid of cygwin (or another Unix environment on windows)." just
> following the sentence? ;)

No I did not, but despite that it somewhat harsh to imply that CMake
is hard to get or install. Getting it is roughly as hard as getting a
compiler (buying full registered versions of MSVC notwithstanding).

> As for the toolset the following combinations are thinkable:
> GNU make + Unix Tools (sh, awk, sed ... - cygwin on windows)
> GNU make + Python (native on windows/unix)
> CMake + Unix Tools (sh, awk, sed ... - cygwin on windows)
> CMake + Python (native on windows/unix)
> CMake + custom tools (written in C/C++)

There is also "Pure CMake". But as I said earlier, it is probably
smarter to first go "CMake + Unix" and then transition to pure CMake.