Hello community,

name is Igor and I'm working in my spare time on a trading system. So far I
used jupyter notebook with python kernel for visualisation/playing around
with data. I wanted to go a step forward and reuse my existing scala code,
so I came up with toree as seemingly the only one still maintained jupyter
kernel.

Therefore I've assembled a jar via sbt and tried to add it in the notebook.
It has failed with an exact same error as here.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46403426/adding-dependency-to-apache-toree-fails-on-import

2018-05-18 23:43:51 WARN  MagicManager:111 - Magic AddJar failed to execute
with error:
object Predef does not have a member classOf
scala.reflect.internal.FatalError: object Predef does not have a member
classOf

2018-05-18 23:43:51 ERROR OneForOneStrategy:159 - object Predef does not
have a member classOf
scala.reflect.internal.FatalError: object Predef does not have a member
classOf

So I've tried to import the jar via toree_opts like

sudo jupyter toree install --spark_home=/path/bin/spark-2.3.0
--toree_opts='--jar-dir /path/target/scala-2.12'

which didn't make any impact unfortunately (from source code I could see
that it should print a message that jar could not be loaded, neither did an
import work).

I could assume that it's maybe a scala version issue? My project is
compiled against 2.12.3, I couldn't find scala version that toree is using.

Did somebody face this issue? How could I debug what is wrong?

Thanks
Best regards,
Igor