Jeremy’s suggestion could work, but the param would probably be created in a
TR_PROFILE per-CDN. However, that still wouldn’t fix the visibility problem. If
a CDN isn’t using the default “tr” HTTP routing name, operators would still
need to know that there is a new profile parameter that needs updating
post-upgrade but before a snap/queue. So either way there needs to be
sufficient upgrade notes, but personally I still prefer keeping the
routing_name column non-null.

That said, this is my current proposal for the DB migration which also gets us
past the upgrade issue:
1. Add a routing_name column to the DeliveryService table.
2. Update the routing_name for DNS Delivery Services to “edge”.
3. Update the routing_name of non-DNS Delivery Services to the value of a
temporary upgrade parameter associated with the Delivery Service’s CDN (if the
upgrade parameter doesn’t exist, the routing_names will remain null).
4. Update the remaining null routing_names to “tr”.
5. Make the routing_name column non-null and add a non-empty constraint.

So these would be an operator’s pre-upgrade steps:
1. Verify if a custom http.routing.name has been configured for Traffic Routers
in their CDNs.
2. If custom http.routing.name, do the following. Otherwise, no pre-upgrade
steps needed (for per-DS routing names at least):
    a. create a parameter named “upgrade_http_routing_name” with the value of
the target CDN’s custom http.routing.name
    b. associate this parameter to the TR_PROFILE belonging to the target CDN
    c. repeat steps 2a and 2b for each CDN using a custom http.routing.name

This would keep everything working the same post-upgrade as it did pre-upgrade,
and from that point on you’d be able to change a Delivery Service’s routing
name to any arbitrary hostname (without periods).

--Rawlin