No problem, Eric. I appreciate a good brainstorming. Really the
Seattle-Denver-Boston example I gave was just to illustrate the idea
of the feature; I'm not sure we'd actually go with a Geo Steering DS
architecture that dispersed.

Steering DSes aren't actually assignable to specific cachegroups,
because the assignments of the target DSes are what's actually used in
order to find a cache that supports the target DS. As long as the
target DSes are assigned to all cache groups, the client will be
routed to an optimal edge cache. If the targets are geo-ordered, then
the client's first option is to request a target DS with an Origin
that is also optimal to that edge cache.

I think I might've confused the way I worded the problem initially.
The target DSes should always be ordered by distance between the
routed-to cachegroup and the Origin. That way a client in Seattle that
was routed to an edge in Boston (if the Seattle and Denver CGs were
down) would first request an Origin in Boston not Seattle. That way
traffic wouldn't be be crossing the country twice.

Does that make more sense?

- Rawlin