On 06/16/2010 12:14 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
On 16 Jun 2010, at 01:05, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

Hi,

there's a fairly large number of APIs in InkAPI.cc / ts.h which are marked
deprecated. The fact that they are deprecated implies that they were removed
quite a while ago during Inktomi's release cycles.

Should we still keep these for the v2.2 release, and nuke them  for v3.0? Or
nuke'em now and avoid having to deal with people using deprecated APIs in the
plugins (they are all documented as deprecated already)?
This raises the question: does trafficserver have a published policy on
API/ABI stability?  Under what circumstances is/isn't it promised?

Well, we said we'd try to keep API / ABI "compatibility" with major releases (2.x, 3.x etc.). This is why I'm asking for an opinion here on these deprecated APIs, I'm really torn on the issue myself. With 20-20 hindsight, we should have removed them for the 2.0 release, but that didn't happen :-/.

Fwiw, these deprecated APIs have all been replaced with newer, better versions, which we really should encourage people to use. The new versions have all been available since long before we open sourced TS.

-- Leif