I don't know, actually having an option to pull in the pre made pagespeed
automatic library would be great... But that could be done from one repo
also.

Compiling pagespeed or a plugin are two completely different things in
compile time, complexity and dependencies.

Will we be moving ngx_pagespeed also to this model?

So in the end this comes down to how we are going to distribute stuff.
Will we have precompiled pagespeed automatic libraries to facilitate low
entry plugin building (ngx, ats?) or do we want the people to have long
compilation times and possibly have a negative feeling about this and
disregard the product because of that.  It is now pretty low entry.

I think we need both options from the same repo, but some people won't know
what hit them, as ngx pagespeed is pretty small right now and pulling in
the complete repo is something else alktogether...

What are your thoughts about this?