Hi Trafodion Dev Fans,

Just a reminder that the Trafodion daily build is *not* to be used as a
substitute release build for users.  People on the user list should not be
aware that it exists even, and we should not mention it there.

The daily build suffers from a number of limitations that a release does
not have, not limited to:

 - Snapshot that does not necessarily have complete features/fix
implementation
 - Potential merge/pull conflicts that are detected via testing (see
discussion earlier this week)
 - Not tested/validated
 - Not fully documented
 - Most importantly:  not approved by the community via vote as an external
release

(And because we're an incubating project, it's not an official Apache
Release until the IPMC also votes)

So we should not be directing our users to the daily build because we're
missing a feature or fix in our supported releases.  In fact, the Apache
Release Policy says that if we find this is an issue, we should "release
more often"!

These rules and guidelines are tricky, especially when we just want to help
people start to use Trafodion and we're eager share our excitement about
Trafodion.  And we can do that helping and sharing, but we have to be clear
on what we're encouraging and how it aligns with the ASF as we're going
through the incubation process.

-Carol P.

PS:  The official Apache release policy (
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what ) says:

During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various
packages are made available to the developer community for testing
purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that might
encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots,
release candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are
supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev list
(or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed on the
package. If you find that the general public are downloading such test
packages, then remove them.

Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for releases. If
this policy seems inconvenient, then release more often. Proper release
management is a key aspect of Apache software development.

Email:    carol.pearson...@gmail.com
Twitter:  @CarolP222