From: Rohit Jain [mailto:rohit.j...@esgyn.com]
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2016 10:27 AM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: A few questions

Rinka,

Here is a response to your questions:

1.  Is HBase pluggable?
For a query engine like Trafodion to get the best out of a storage engine like
HBase, very deep integration is required.  We can certainly provide a list of
the deep integration we have done with HBase.  But suffice is to say that to
support another storage engine requires a few months of development and
performance tuning effort.  So while there is nothing preventing Trafodion from
integrating with other storage engines, a fair amount of effort is required to
do so well.  In that sense, another storage engine is not "pluggable".  Esgyn
has a supported and Enterprise database engine called EsgynDB, that is powered
by Trafodion, which integrates with Apache ORC as well to support BI and
Analytics workloads for example.

 2.  Is Trafodion production ready?
Trafodion has been production ready for OLTP since R1.0 which was released very
early 2015.  So yes, it has been production ready for two years now and is in
production at a number of customer sites.

3.  OLTP workloads supported?
Actually, while there are no in-place updates supported by HBase, it is an MVCC
model where an update translates to a new version of the row being inserted.
This is a model that is followed by a number of database implementations and
not just HBase.  You can choose the number of versions of a row you want to
keep, thereby providing temporal and change data capture capabilities as well.
With compaction, old versions are deleted and the new versions are integrated
into the main HFile.  With this MVCC model Trafodion supports full OLTP
capabilities with very impressive OLTP performance proven by internal
benchmarks we run at Esgyn based on TPC-C.

Please feel free to contact us for more detailed information, presentations,
and architectural capabilities between Trafodion and HBase.

Rohit