Hi,

for pyuno, I would address the issue the same way you have addressed it for the office, thus let python.bat/python.sh set the URE_BOOTSTRAP variable.

That was my first thought, too.

> But then I noticed that python.sh (and
the python symlink pointing to it) are only included #ifndef SYSTEM_PYTHON (scp2/source/python/file_python.scp:1.18, scp2/source/python/shortcut_python.scp:1.3), so that modifying python.sh would not work in general. (However, I have no idea how any PyUNO relevant stuff is found in the SYSTEM_PYTHON, anyway, which, I grok, is found via PYTHONPATH=$sd_prog:... in our !SYSTEM_PYTHON python.sh.)
this must be solved by the distributors. I currently don't know how they do this right now, probably by defining appropriate default values for environment variables, maybe someone is listening here and can give us some insight ?

The type-via-remote-bridge-suggestion is certainly a sensible extension, but won't help here. When you have a component, that can exist without the soffice process (will there ever be some :-) ... ? ), you would have to connect to an office just to serve as a type server.
Or you would have to make sure the (hypothetical, future) component bootstraps into an OOo environment by other means (i.e., making sure yourself that URE_BOOTSTRAP is set by putting a wrapper around that component). I was mainly concerned with keeping existing scenarios running.
As said before, I would stick to the python.[sh|bat] solution.

Bye,

Joerg