Hello,
Finally after few months of waiting the openoffice.org 3.2.1 is here
in lenny backports. The speed improvement in that version are just
insane fast. The response time compared to 3.1.1 is just amazing.
Congrats to OO team.

 So if you are into doing some kind of templates here is how to use
openoffice in the code without touching ui !

Install ootools program: (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ootools/0.1dev)
easy_install ootools

Then in python:

import ootools
oor=ootools.OORunner()
oor.start()
desktop=oor.connect()
#......
oor.stop()

The ootools start and stop the openoffice.org --hedless mode for you.
This is a great tool for creating templates. In my case I use it with
sqlalchemy to loop through records and create odt documents for each
record that then get it printed and mailed.

Few helpful links on how to write code for headless mode:
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/OpenOffice

Thank you,
Lucas