I'm not sure about the value of this; it feels more complex, and the benefits
are not clear to me.

We currently (at least for uimaj) don't do new-feature, bug-fixes, and other
maintenance, separately; new releases typically contain some combination of
these.

So I think I would be happy with 2 masters (master and master-v2), where
everything eventually goes, plus tags for the releases.

-Marshall