On the asf infra slack channel, I asked about protection for uima-uimaj
branches, what was set, how to see, etc.

The answer was:

>>>right now, nothing, which is actually an oversight on my part. i need to go
>>>protect
the master branch.
>>>protect = refs/heads/trunk refs/heads/master refs/heads/rel/ refs/tags/rel/

>>>that is the default protection

Protection appears to be a property of GitHub, not of "git" itself (the ProGit
book has no hits for this kind of protection).

I cannot find  this syntax anywhere.  Does anyone know what this refers to?

Also, when branches are "protected" in github, you have to additionally specify
the kinds of protection.  Does anyone know what these are?  I feel like I'm
missing some significant documentation ...

Cheers. -Marshall