[ 
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-191?page=comments#action_12452598 
] 
            
Mailmur commented on VELOCITY-191:
----------------------------------

Henri,
Absolute yes if you see benefits, you can look at my original web page where I 
have UnicodeReader.java and UnicodeInputStream.java (=copy pasted to velocity 
package) sources. I have used them since july 2003 and no problems. I have not 
made any serious performance bencmarks, but thats something what we can always 
update later.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/java/unicodereader/

It was sad Sun first fixed this bug (utf8 bom mark not recognized), but then 
they found one of their app server had problems with auto-recognized utf8 
handling, so sad implementation :-) .....so  Sun unmodified the fix and now 
made it _will not be fixed_. So after all, we must use own code now and ever to 
autorecognize all unicode bom markers.
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4508058


> UnicodeFileResourceLoader for Win2k Notepad UTF-8 files
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: VELOCITY-191
>                 URL: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-191
>             Project: Velocity
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Engine
>    Affects Versions: 1.3.1
>         Environment: Operating System: All
> Platform: All
>            Reporter: Mailmur
>            Priority: Minor
>             Fix For: 1.5
>
>         Attachments: FileResourceLoader-UnicodeStream.zip
>
>
> [copypaste from velocity-user mailing list]
> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:52:11 -0700 (PDT)
> From: mailmur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: UnicodeFileResourceLoader to support Win2k Notepad UTF-8 files
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> I discovered, that files saved with Win2k Notepad UTF-8 format always 
> generated 
> an extra ? character at the start of ISO-8859-1 output text. 
> This was due to lack of UTF8 BOM mark support in 
> InputStreamReader/OutputStreamWriter classes.
> I then created a inputstream implementation to skip BOM mark to overcome this 
> bug.
> Please, find here a source + testprogram to see it for yourself. I created 
> UnicodeFileResourceLoader to make all this transparent.
> http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/java/unicodereader/
> I dont know what is the proper procedure to add this to Velocity core (if you 
> find this useful), but here it is. Feel free to change class package. Or is 
> this even the right list to announce such addition....
> Here is a link to Sun bugparade about the UTF-8 BOM problem: 
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4508058.html

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators: 
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Administrators.jspa
-
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to